Maybe you already know that in Tuscany, as well as in all the other regions of Italy, we celebrate the Liberation day on April 25 and the Labour Day on May 1. These are very important celebrations because on April 25, the Festa della Liberazione, or Liberation Day, marks the day of 1945 when Italy was liberated by the Allied troops from the occupying army. The Labour Day on May 1st is an annual holiday to celebrate the achievements of workers. During this week, aided buy the fact that there is a week-end in between, there are thousands of events spread in Tuscany. Choose the best for you and enjoy Tuscany!
- In Siena, till October 27, you have the great opportunity to take advantage of the extraordinary opening of the Porta del Cielo (Gate of Heaven) to discover the recently restored ceiling and high walkways within the building. In the crypt Caravaggio’s painting San Giovanni Battista di Michelangelo Merisi is also on display. For more information you can read this post on Tuscany Arts.
- Till April 28 there are the #invasionidigitali, a network of self-organized events through the entire country with the aim of disseminating and enhancing Italy’s artistic and cultural heritage through the use of the internet and social media. See here where they are.
- In Siena, till May 31, return to unravel the treasures of the Palazzo Chigi Saracini. The historical Musical Academy Chigiana opens its doors with guided tours to discover the rooms of the Gothic building built in the thirteenth century by the Marescotti family and a part of the twelve pieces of his important collection of art.
- On April 27 and 28 from 10am until midnight, the Cascine park of Florence will relive the Middle Ages with music, games, sports and market stalls for the Giochi di Carnasciale.
- In Florence, till April 28 at the Fortezza da Basso there is the Mostra Internazionale dell’Artigianato with artisans from 49 countries displaying their great traditions and designs.
- As we already told you on April 30 Florence will be filled with music, installations, shows and much more for the White Night. The civic museums will also stay open until late and the admission will be free. The white night will finish at dawn with a breakfast in Palazzo Vecchio.
On April 25:
- at Teatro Verdi in Florence there will be a tribute to Buster Keaton,
- Edoardo Bennato will perform in piazza Carrara in Pisa
- Anna Oxa at the Obihall in Florence.
On April 26:
- Wu Ming will be at Sala Vanni in Florence and Foxhund at Tender Club.
On April 27:
- Finaz will perform at the Viper Theatre in Florence,
- Raphael Gualazzi at Teatro Verdi,
- Giovanni Allevi at Teatro Politeama in Prato,
- La Pegatina at Flog in Florence
- I Ministri at The Cage in Livorno.
On April 28:
- the Gatti Mezzi will be in Cascina
On April 30:
- Melvins will perform at The Cage in Livorno.
On May 3:
- Vladislav Delay will be at The Cage.
On May 4:
- Francesco De Gregori will be at Florence’s Teatro Verdi
- Baustelle will perform at the Nuovo Teatro Verdi in Montecatini Terme
OTHER OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN THE NATURE
Don’t miss the appointments with:
- the Tuscany Walking Festival in the national parks of the region with a series of guided walks for all abilities;
- the great Maritime Walking Festival in the Tuscan Archipelago;
- the Treno Natura in the Terre di Siena (Castiglione d’Orcia on April 25 and San Quirico d’Orcia for the Orcia Wine Festival on April 28).
- On April 25 there will be Sapori delle Crete Senesi in the Siena area, a traditional event to promote and taste local food such as pecorino and artichokes. The events kick off on April 25 till April 28 with Chiusure in Piazza, celebrating the artichokes of Chiusure. For hiking lovers there will be walks through Chiusure, Asciano and Monte Oliveto. On April 26 there will be a guided dinner in Chiusure, with artichokes and new artisanal beer.
- On May 5 Sapori delle Crete will move to Arbia for the Sant’Isodidoro Festival.
- At Rosignano Marittimo (LI), VerdeOro will take place (April 26-28), an event dedicated to the best extra virgin olive oil, including tastings, exhibits, music and visits to the Archaeological Museum.
- There will also be Castagneto a Tavola, an event celebrating the chestnuts of the area.
- On May 4 and 5 at San Vincenzo there will be the event Tutti Pazzi per la Palamita – an annual event celebrating sea food and traditional flavors.
- Sagra del Baccello in San Miniato, April 25 – 28 and May 1,
- Sagra del Tortello e della Bistecca in Vicchio
- Sagra del Cinghiale in Certaldo, April 24-28 and 30, and May 1, 3, and 4.
Click here to find out about all the food festivals in Tuscany.
Last but not the least, enjoy the Tuscan countryside!