There are 109 initiatives planned for the month of June in Pisa -also referred to as Giugno Pisano by Italians- some of the more interesting events are listed below. To learn more about the program, click here.
1) June 16 –Luminara di San Ranieri: One of the finest shows in all of Tuscany and perhaps the world! Over one hundred thousand candles are set in glasses hung in wooden frames, which are shaped so as to simulate the shape of buildings, bridges, churches and towers overlooking the Arno, while other candles are set on the current of the river itself, creating a dynamic play of light to celebrate the city’s patron saint, St. Ranieri. To top off the evening, fireworks will be set around 23:30.2) June 17– Palio di San Ranieri: At sunset, after the parade in honor of the Maritime Republic, four boats which stand for the four ancient city districts of Pisa will compete in a regatta on the waters of the Arno.
3) June 30 –The Game of the Bridge: This traditional batallion takes place over the course of one evening in two different locations within the city. It begins at 7pm with the historical procession and it’s over 700 paraders/members along the Arno. At 10pm the actual battle takes place on the Ponte di Mezzo, where teams belonging to opposing districts – the Tramontana (South of the Arno) and the Mezzogiorno (North of the Arno) – engage in a ritualistic fight for power, pushing a heavy cart in opposing directions. This is a fun opportunity for anyone who is curious to go back in time and re-live the Middle Ages!4) From June 22 to July 11– Concerts under the Tower: Six evenings of classical music and jazz standards to be held in the courtyard of the Museo dell’ Opera of the Duomo of Pisa.
5) From June 17 – Piazza dei Miracoli under moonlight: Nighttime entry hours (from 8-11) at the leaning tower and the monumental Camposanto in the Piazza dei Miracoli.
6) From July 1- Tasting Pisa: Event dedicated to the rediscovery of the flavors and traditional dishes of Pisa. For the duration of June and July, participating restaurants will offer a fixed-price special menu for both lunch and dinner to let you explore the true flavors of the region, the delecacies of Pisa and typical Tuscan cuisine. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn about the local cuisine and treat the palate to a delightful feast.
7) June, July and August – The Miracles of the Night: Guided tours and workshops for children in order to explore and visit the frescos at the monumental Camposanto of Pisa. The tours are given by the by art restoration professionals of the fresco cycles themselves.