There are several ways to get to the Island of Elba, you can choose the fastest or the most beautiful, the most comfortable or the cheapest. Here you’ll find information on ferries, flights, car rentals and even helicopter flights! I hope this article will help you and if I forgot something, please add a comment. Your feedback is welcome!
Elba island is a paradise in Tuscany and there are many small beaches with crystal clear water. If you are a passionate about history you’ll probably visit the Napoleon site (read more about What to see in Elba on TuscanyArt). You will be impressed by Elba’s beauty.
When to go
August is the month in which every Italian people go on vacation, so Elba will be very crowded: book your hotel and excursions in advance!
June and July are the best months to get a tan!
May and September are cooler months and you will be almost alone with the surrounding nature: magical feeling! :)
During the other months of the year you can visit the towns or follow this itinerary of Tuscany Arts.
The fastest way to arrive in Elba is…
… getting a ferry from Piombino.
There are 3 possibilities:
- Moby: this company works all year round from Piombino to Portoferraio or Cavo for passengers and vehicles. Passengers must arrive at least 30 minutes before boarding, if you have a car you must get to the harbor 90 minutes before. It takes about 1 hour to arrive in Elba. Special Advice: there are special offers for passengers from the Island of Corsica to the Island of Elba. Check here. Reservation center for Europe: website: www.mobylines.com ; e-mail: email@example.com ; Tel. +49(0)611-14020
- Toremar: works all year round from Piombino to: Portoferraio, Cavo, RioMarina and there are also hydrofoils for those in a hurry to arrive in this Tuscan paradise! Special Advice: there are special offers for groups. From 10 to 20 people: 20% off, from 21 to 34 people: 30% off, from 35 to 50: 40% off, more than 50 people: 50% off. For more information click here. Reservation center: Tel. 220.127.116.11 from Italy and +39 02.39595013 from abroad.
- Blu Navy: from Piombino to Portoferraio. Reservation center: Tel. +39 0565.070327 or +39 0565.1835043. Travel agency in Portoferraio: V.le Elba, 12 – 57037 Portoferraio (Elba) Tel. +390 (565) 91.41.33 – Telefax +390 (565) 91.76.52; firstname.lastname@example.org Travel agency in Piombino: MOBY c/o Stazione Marittima Piazzale Premuda – 57025 Tel. 00390565 22.12.12 – 27.60.77
The most charming way to arrive in Elba is…
… booking a tour from a beautiful town like Porto Santo Stefano and make the trip an amazing moment of your vacation.
- Le crociere del sole: they offer transport from Porto Santo Stefano to the Island of Elba.
Port S. Stefano (Grosseto) – phone: +39 0564.818022, fax: +39 0564.811231, e-mail: email@example.com
Flying to Elba…
Elba has its own airport so you can reach the Island from: Berlin, Dusseldorf, Friedrichshafen, Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, Zurich, Bern, Milan (Orio al Serio and Malpensa). If you need a car, visit ElbabyCar.com and rent one. Below you find a list of companies to book your flight.
- KissFly: flights from/to Milan (Malpensa) and Lugano, shuttle service to /from Pisa Airport.
Timetable: click here.
- Intersky: flights from/to Altenrhein, Berlin, Dresden, Dusseldorf, Friedrichshafen, Graz/Styria, Hamburg, Munich, Zurich; book online here.
- Air-Dynamic (helicopters): flights from Siena – contact by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is a tourist office in Portoferraio.