Tuscany’s many museums and archeological sites are going to host events, exhibits, special openings, conferences, meetings, conventions, historic reenactments, games and food and wine festivals during July.
Here’s the list of all the happenings:
- San Gimignano Archeological Museum in collaboration with the Colle Val d’Elsa Archeological Museum: archeological-naturalistic hiking plus visits to the archeological dig of the Aiano-Torraccia Roman villa in Chiusi, the Badia in Coneo and the Dometaria archeological park
- Siena: free evening visit of the Archeological Museum, guided tour to see the places and monuments connected to the supply and use of water inside the Santa Maria della Scala hospital
- Archeological Museum of the Chianti: Etruscan presence in Chianti, guided tour with stops to the Castellina Museum, the Castelnuovo Berardenga Landscape Museum and the Montecalvario tombs
- Underground City Civic Museum in Chiusi: special opening and visits
- Belvedere Archeological Naturalistic Park, Cetona Archeodrome: Monte Cetona’s grottos speleologic tour
- Civic Archeological Museum of the Waters of Chianciano Terme: evening visits to the Water Museum
Civic, Archeological and Collegiate Museum in Casole d’Elsa: special tour “Etruscans from Chianti to the Elsa: waterways and land itineraries”, visits of the Chianti and the Elsa valley’s hills and of Castellina in Chianti, Colle Val d’Elsa, Casole d’Elsa’s most important museums and archeological sites of the area (Tumulo di Montecalvario, Parco Archeologico di Dometaia).
Medici Arsenal: reading/concert performance of “Antigone” for the event “Narrating Archeology”
Archeological Area in Piazza del Duomo: reading an “Encounter with Pisan Romanitas” on the outer walls of the cathedral
Peccioli Archeological Museum: free opening and representation “Edipo o della colpa, da Sofocle a Seneca”
Livorno and Etruscan coast:
During “Archeological Nights 2011”, the Etruscan coast’s museums and archeological areas will be open until midnight.
La Cinquantina Archeological City Museum in Cecina: Special opening of the museum until 11:30pm and guided tours.
Populonia Archeological Museum (Piombino): for its 10 years anniversary there will be special openings, events and guided visits.
Linguella Civic Archeological Museum (Portoferraio): Guided visit and wine tasting of Elba DOC wines
San Silvestro Archeological Mines Park in Campiglia Marittima: “A Trip through the Heart of the Earth”, a night visit to the park’s mines thanks to special train
Linguella Civic Museum in Portoferraio and at the Baratti and Populonia Park: theatre event “Narrating Archeology“.
Museum of the Castle and City of Piombino: exhibition “The Siege of Alfonso V of Aragon”
Bibbona Forte di Marina fortress: “Etruscherie. Collection of Etruscan art and Mysteries”, archeological show with Etruscan settings, guided tours, conferences and shows
July 24 and 27
Forte di Marina in Bibbona: talk about matriarchal societies and witch hunts; history of the Etruscan wine
Museum of the Castle and City of Piombino: hydraulic networks and different ways of managing water
Baratti and Populonia Archeological Park: traveling conference about the discovery of the Populonia acropolis.
Villa Romana delle Grotte (Portoferraio): guided visit and wine tasting of Elba DOC wines
San Silvestro Archeological Park in Campiglia Marittima with the historic reenactment of the medieval worksite at Rocca San Silvestro
Baratti and Populonia Archeological Park (Piombino): San Cerbone necropolis’ guided visit
Palazzino Archeological Area in Bibbona: guided visits through the Etruscan world of the Tane and Palazzino archeological areas
- Museum of Iron and Cast Iron in Follonica: guided tours and didactic workshops for children.
- Rocca Pisana in Giglio Castello, the Archeological Documentation Center in Magliano, Spanish Fortress in Monte Argentario: several events.
- “Alberto Manzi” outdoor archeological museum and the Etruscan Civilization Archeological Museum in Pitigliano, “Riccardo Francovich” Documentation Center in Scarlino, Archeological Park in Sorano: several events
Torre del Candeliere in Cassero Senese: “Siege of the Fortress” game.
Florentine museums participating in the initiative are:
- Museo storico della Caccia e del Territorio (Historic Museum of Hunting and General Area) at the Cerreto Guidi Medici Villa,
- the Dicomano Archeological Museum,
- the Civic Museum of Fiesole,
- the Florentine Prehistory Institute and Museum,
- the Bruscoli Ethnographic Historical Museum in Firenzuola,
- the Catignano Castle and the permanent exhibition about glass in Gambassi Terme,
- the Montaione City Museum, Sacred Art Museum, Museum of the Vineyards and Wine in Montespertoli
- the Castelluccio Archeological Area
- the Area Archeologica in Rignano Sull’Arno
Fucecchio, Montelupo Fiorentino and Reggello are also featuring meetings and conferences.
Dicomano: “Dinner with the Etruscans”, tasting of traditional local products
July 20 and 27
Palazzo Vecchio Museum: “Narrating Archeology” events titled “If these stones could talk”
Gaio Cilnio Mecenate National Archeological Museum: all day long historic re-enactments of the Roman battles, arts and crafts, combat techniques, activities for children, “harpastum” ancient soccer game
Cortona’s MAEC (Etruscan Academy and City of Cortona Museum): theatre piece “Escape of Aeneas”
Castiglion Fiorentino Civic Archeological Museum and the underground Percorsco Archeologico Sotterraneo: open until midnight with guided visits