Gelato, the ultimate sweet Italian treat. According to legend the first Gelato was created in Tuscany, and Catherine Medici of the famous Medici family was so impressed that she insisted that the dessert be ordered especially for her impending wedding. Why not try and make your own at home version of everyone’s favourite dessert. This recipe can be made solely by hand as you don’t need the use of an ice cream maker.
- 250ml Fresh Cream
- 250ml Fresh Milk Container
- 150 g Caster Sugar
What you will need:
- Hand blender or electric mixer
- Container for the gelato
- First pour the milk, sugar and cream into a pan and simmer for 3 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves
- Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature and then place into the fridge for an hour
- In the meantime place a container in the freezer, which you will need later to store the ice cream in
- Take the mixture out of the fridge and allow it to incorporate air, this is what gives Gelato it’s creamy texture, then pour the milk, sugar and cream mix into tall container and blitz with a hand blender or electric mixer, this mixture should rise but ensure it has a foamy surface appearance
- Take out the freezer container and pour the mixture into the container and place back in the freezer for 5-6 hours
- At 30 minute intervals take out the mixture and stir it to avoid the surface crystallising. This repeated action will create the soft gelato texture, this process might take some time but is essential to get the right texture
- Serve the ice cream with chocolate cream or fresh fruit
Photo credits: Flavia Cori
Special thanks to Aurelio Barattini for sharing his family recipe.
Article by Chantal Brown: British University Graduate. Books, travel and food are her passions.