The “pinolata senese” or Tuscan pine nut cake is a traditional cake from Siena.
This delicious pine nut cake recipe was passed on by Giulia, who originally got it from a famous Senese pastry shop.
Photo credits: Lara Musa – Social Media Team
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Recipe type: Dessert, cake
For the cake mixture
• 180 g of butter at room temperature
• 150 g of caster sugar
• 3 eggs
• 180 g of organic tender wheat flour
• 10 g of baking powder
• 1 handful of shelled pine nuts
For the custard
• 3 egg yolks
• 4 tablespoons of caster sugar
• 2 tablespoons of wheat flour
• 500 ml of whole milk
• 2 tablespoons of raisins, soaked in Vin Santo (Tuscan sweet wine)
About Giulia Scarpaleggia
Giulia (or Juls) is a freelance food writer. She developes recipes for magazines and companies and she is a Tuscan cooking class instructor for foreigners and Italians.