Destroyed during the second World War, the acquarium was rebuilt in 1950 and completed in its present form in 1962, though it is currently undertaking an expansion project funded by the European Union.The acquarium is named for the 18th-century naturalist Diacinto Cestoni and was built thanks to the support of another Livornese naturalist, Alberto Razzauti. The collection includes living examples of marine flora and fauna from the Mediterranean. It also hosts the Inter-University Centre for Marine Biology. The collateral activities of the museum, including didactic programs and scientific research, are run from the temporary offices at Villa Maria at Via Calzabigi, 54.
Currently closed for construction with reopening slated for the end of 2009.
Piazzale Mascagni 1
Ph: +39 0586 805504