BLOGS

NEWS
Caricamento...
Caricamento...
Caricamento...

MORE

icona icona icona icona icona icona icona icona

The Horticulture Gardens in Florence

An oasis of scents and colors for both nature and science lovers

Giardino orticoltura - Firenze
In 1852, with the spread of the practice and art of gardening, the Accademia dei Georgofili named a commission to create a horticultural society in Tuscany.

This was when the Orto Botanico or Giardino Sperimentale was born. Officially opened in 1859, the year in which the commission was given a land plot outside of Porta San Gallo, at the beginning of Via Bolognese, which was the property of the Marchese Ludovico Ginori Lisci and the Marchesa Marianna Venturi. After three years of construction, the commission began using the land as an experimental garden, erecting a dibble, planting vines and tomatoes and other rare and ornamental plants and flowers. The garden was completely restructured in 1876 with the aim of being holding future exhibitions and events. 

In 1880, the Federazione Orticola Italiana organized the first National Exhibition in Florence, so officials at the botanical garden wanted to complete the garden by erecting a grand tepidarium, the largest in Italy. A fund-raising initiative was launched to pay for its construction. Head of the project was Architect and Engineer Giacomo Roster and it was built by the Officina Michelucci firm in Pistoia. In 1887, the gardens were enriched with a café and restaurant and with a second greenhouse, taken from Villa Demidoff in San Donato. In 1911, the gardens hosted another important event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Unity of Italy. On the occasion, several modifications in the gardens were carried out, among which the construction of the Loggetta Bondi, by the Manifattura di Signa.

Starting in WWI, the gardens and the Società Toscana d'Orticoltura experienced a period of decline. In 1930 the botanical garden was bought by the city and it was turned into a public garden. Roster’s large tepidarium had been abandoned for a long time, so the city had it restored from 1933 to 1936. However, the tepidarium was damaged during WWII and was restored for a second time.

Opening hours:  
January-February-March 8:30am-6pm
April-March 8:30am-7pm
June-July-August 8:30am-8pm
Sept 8:30am-7pm
Oct-Nov-December 8:30am-6pm

Entrance: free

Disabled access: 
Yes.

Contact:
Via Bolognese, 17
Tel. 055483698
 
Offers available nearbyOffers available nearby
When:
From:01/Mar/2017 to: 31/Oct/2017
Where:
Via dei Giraldi 8R Town:Firenze
When:
From:06/Apr/2017 to: 31/Oct/2017
Where:
Via dei Giraldi 8R Town:Firenze
SHOW ALL